2.11.2014

Farewell

Celebrating an early Gotcha Day the night before our favorite new missionaries left for Utah.  We've spent every Gotcha Day at this very Fuddruckers (except one year when I lived in Utah, my parents flew out and took my friends and I to Fuddruckers in Orem).

It only seems appropriate on the eve of my 28th Gotcha Day to blog about the amazing parents that my Heavenly Father chose for me on February 12th, 1987.

This would not have been the case several days ago as I was a blubbering idiot for the entire first week of their absence. It was pretty bad. I was falling apart over the littlest things. Being alone at night didn't help. I got teary over boiling zucchini in a specific pot, just because it reminded me of my dad.  I know. Seriously?!

I think they knew how bad I had it because they called every day last week. I couldn't even hear my dad's voice without turning into a puddle.  I have always joked about my separation anxiety since I couldn't even get through a sleepover as a youth without calling my dad in the middle of the night to come pick me up.  My parents have always pointed the finger at adoption and abandonment.  It doesn't help that these two have never given up on me. They have loved and cheered me on through the best and worst times. They adore Andrew and Londyn more than I could have ever imagined.  They just don't make it easy to let go.

Living in their house doesn't help the situation either. I grew up in this house from the age of 7 and it was just the three of us for most of those years. This week has been much easier thus far and I don't white knuckle my phone at the hint of a text from what could be my mom anymore. Although Skyping with them for the first time last night was pretty awesome!


Londyn has always been very close with my parents.  We have lived in the same house just 5 minutes away from them since the day she was born.  When Zoe was in the hospital, Londyn lived with them off and on for days.  There were times when I had no idea where, what or how she was doing but I always knew she was in good hands because I knew WHO she was with.  She was with the next best thing, my parents.  We rarely go more than two days without seeing Grandma and Grandpa, so this is a huge adjustment for her.  After losing Zoe, Londyn's greatest fears aren't monsters under her bed or being afraid of the dark like a typical 4 year old.  Her fears involve losing loved ones too soon.  As we've prepared her for months about Gma & Gpa's mission, she has repeatedly said "I am not going to miss them."  She frequently says this because saying "goodbye" or missing people makes her sad.  She has already asked me if Grandma and Grandpa are going to die and not come back.  It's so hard to know what to say when the shock of your child's curiosity takes your breath away.  I have learned to take a moment... breathe... say a small prayer and do the best I can in the moment.  The hardest part is that I can't give her any guarantees and our time with Zoe has taught us that very important life lesson.  My parents and especially my mom have always been so sensitive to Londyn's grief.  They were in the front lines with us before, during and after Zoe's journey and know what we went through.  Before she left my Mom hid little surprises around the house with poems to help Lulu find them.  She told Londyn that whenever she was missing her, she could open an envelope to find a special surprise and remember that Grandma loves her.  Needless to say all five surprises were found within the first week!  I couldn't believe that with all the madness and last minute preparation for their mission, my mom made the time to think about Lulu and how much she was going to miss her Grandma.

Family dinner after their mission farewell talks


The younger six grandkids went to John's Incredible Pizza and a sleepover with Gma & Gpa a week before they left for the MTC


My parents have always been a team of spiritual goodness but it's amazing to have a front row seat, watching them finally focus on themselves, simultaneously serving others. It's truly inspiring! 

You want to know what else is inspiring? If you know my mom and dad, the difficult part about serving this mission isn't treating patients in a foreign country and speaking a new language.  It's leaving their children and grandchildren for a year and a half. What a blessing it is to see my parents rely on their faith to go and do the Lord's work. There is nothing my parents could say that could prove their faith and love for our Savior Jesus Christ than this act alone.

My parents spent a few days with my awesome in-laws in Payson before heading into the MTC.  My mom and mom-in-law Brendi are trouble!

Provo Temple and checking in to the MTC

At Sam Hawk (my favorite Korean restaurant) in Provo after their first week in the MTC


No comments: