10.18.2010

8 Days Sober

As some of you may already know... Diet Coke and I have been struggling with a pending divorce. It is now official and I am proud to announce that I am 8 days sober.

In the beginning, it wasn't love at first sight. I toyed with the idea and it was persistent enough that it snuck into my life. We did everything together. It has been about 11 years since my first drink... and I have to say, it's been a long road. On a bad day, it made everything better. We've been through a lot together. Lately, I have just noticed how clingy it really is... and if you know me, I am not a fan of clingy. It was getting to the point where it needed more attention than I could give and it was becoming a very unhealthy relationship.

I have learned a lot from Diet Coke... and I never want to rely on any substance to improve my mood or day again. If I was stressed, I NEEDED a Diet Coke. I was having one for breakfast, one midday and one in the late afternoon. That doesn't even take into account my situational drinks where I either drank socially or needed it to relieve tension. Don't get me wrong, our separation has not been easy on me. In the first few days, I was extremely sluggish and tense. The initial motivation was difficult to maintain, but now I am so proud of myself and feel much better!

I know it's a bit soon, but I have found someone else. I didn't mean for it to happen... but it just introduced itself and we've been happily ever after since. It's got old fashioned chivalry, having been around for centuries. I know what you're thinking... an older beverage?! But, I have to tell you... my new courtship with H20 has been fabulous. I am constantly drinking water now! I feel great and know that it's so much better for me!

I know that my former Diet Coke community is looking down at me... and feeling betrayed. But I did this for me. Even with our differences, I hope we can still be friends.


No comments: