2.24.2009

Baby Love: Doula Style


In my research of pregnancy, childbirth and becoming new parents- I have been exploring all of our options with the changes taking place. With the gift of Google, I have found lots of useful and websites and interesting facts. Considering I have a very high case of anxiety, I want to be as prepared as I can for the birth of little Londyn. I want to share this special time with my husband without biting his head off... hence my curiosity and interest in a doula. In my blog stalking, I found a doula that is in the area! She is LDS and has a lot of experience in coaching through labor. When first learning about a doulas services, I was under the impression that doulas were all about natural childbirth and alternative methods. Boy, was I mistaken! She has no preference in how I choose to give birth. She's just there to help! I have no qualms with those that give birth naturally, more power to em'! But personally, I am thoroughly and utterly determined to have an epidural! Bring on the drugs! I don't think I'm a wimp for this choice, but a woman who knows her boundaries and what she can and can't handle.

If you're curious about a doula yourself, here's some info and what they're all about!

The word doula is a Greek word that means women’s servant. Women have been serving other women in childbirth for centuries and have proven that this support from another woman has positive effects on the labor process.

What is a doula?
A doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical and informational support to the woman who is expecting, in labor or has recently given birth. The doula's role is to help women have a safe, memorable and empowering birthing experience.

What are the benefits of having a doula?
Numerous studies have revealed the benefits of having a doula present during labor. A recent Cochrane Review, Continuous Support for Women During Childbirth, revealed a very high number of positive birth outcomes when a doula was present. Doulas often use the power of touch and massage to reduce stress and anxiety during labor.

What about the father's role when using a doula?
The role of the doula is never to take the place of the husband or partner in labor, but to compliment and enhance their experience. Today, many husbands are taking a more active role in the birth process, but some partners feel that this is a huge expectation and would rather be able to enjoy the delivery without having to stand in as labor coach. With a doula as a part of the birth team, a father can do whatever he feels comfortable with at each moment. Doulas can encourage the father to use comfort measures and can step in when he needs a break. Having a doula allows the father to be able to support his partner emotionally during labor and birth and also enjoy it himself without the pressure to remember everything he learned in childbirth class!

Click above for more info!

4 comments:

rlmquest said...

What about having your sister, or mother, or sister in-law at the birth? Through out history women have been surrounded by other women family members in giving birth. Honestly, if your having an epidural...it's all good! It won't matter who is there as long as your husband is near! Save your money! Ok that is just me being very vocal. You can obviously do what you want. Does insurance cover a Doula? After having 5 babies I think I should become a Doula! Do they have medical training or is it purely experience?! About the anxiety....Learn some breathing techniques! You know I have anxiety and it is amazing how correct breathing really matters. It so helps...and I didn't get it right until the 5th!!!! Oh and I've had some wonderful nurses that did a lot of what you describe a doula does! Hopefully you have some great nurses!!! Go Doulas!!!!!!!

rlmquest said...

Ok- so I went to the link and then went to birthingway.org. Very interesting! If I take their workshop for a fee,attend and document 5 births, and then apply for a certificate for a fee then I can be a doula?! Does my own 5 births count?!

Armitage Family said...

haha That would be awesome if you became a doula! I definitely want you all at the hospital! Especially you, with your fabulous photography skills :)haha Oh! And the plus with this doula is that she is in her practicum, finishing up her certification. With that said, she is free! Quite honestly, if she wasn't... I wouldn't really consider a doula. It will be a bonus for her and me! I just got finished meeting her and going over things- it was great and such a relief already!

Kelly(M&M) said...

So, Kacie, this is kind of random, but as soon as I started reading this post about doulas, I thought, "I should tell Kacie about my friend Endre..." Lo and behold, that is who you are already with. Love. That. Girl!!!

Congrats on moving back, the baby, the house, and all of that. I know Jenelle is so glad you are here!! (As is the rest of your family!)

Can't wait to read/hear more updates.

Kelly