Fonduely Yours.

Three years ago today, I married a Marine filled with ambition, drive, a long list of talents and looks that still make me weak in the knees.  He is truly the man that I always dreamed of marrying.  I am constantly admiring how hard he continues to work for our family, the love he has for his daughter and most surprisingly... how well he puts up with me!  
Marriage is not easy... at all and we learned that right off the bat!  Since Andrew and I really didn't know each other very well when we got married, our commitment was based on just knowing it was right.  In the first year, we learned so much about each other and worked out a lot of kinks and quirks.  In the second year, we became a family of three, which brought more patience and love into our home.  The third year?  Our lives our in sync and we often get the feeling of an old married couple.  We are no where near perfect or have everything figured out, but we are both a little less stubborn and a little more flexible.  We make each other laugh, hold hands and snuggle every day.  I hope that never changes.  And now, for the fourth year.  Who know's what comes next.  Although it seems like just yesterday that we met, it is hard to remember the way things were before Andrew came a long.  

He is my best friend and I am blessed to share my life with him.   
We had such an amazing time celebrating our anniversary last year, that we decided to do the very same thing this year!  My parents took Lulu for us and we went out to The Melting Pot for dinner.  We were seated in a quiet corner booth that shouted romance, enjoyed (which is an understatement) salads, a delish cheese fondue, a variety of meats, fish and poultry for our entrees and finished off with a chocolate fondue.  It was absolutely perfect.  

After our two hour dining experience, we took a stroll around downtown Portland... people watching and just talking.  After picking up Londyn and tucking her in for the night, we watched a movie and snuggled in bed.  It was a recipe for the perfect anniversary.

Our story is still crazy... even three years later.

I had just sworn off men the month prior to meeting my man on Match.com - as ironic as it was, the "It's okay to look" phrase on their commercials really caught my attention. My success with men was inexistent and I decided to take a break from them. I kept seeing the Match.com commercials and finally gave in. I looked! Within the first couple of days, I found Andrew. Apparently, he found my profile first and didn't make any move because he thought I was out of his league. WRONG! As untrue as it was, I contacted him first with a WINK. He then e-mailed me and we never stopped. 

The interesting part about our story is that Andrew was in Iraq serving in the Marine Corps at the time. He had been there for a total of 6 months and had about one more month to go. We emailed back and forth about 3 to 4 times a day for a month. We were able to talk on the phone several times but most of our contact was via email. We knew that we had a lot in common and were eager to meet with the hopes that something would come of this long relationship through correspondence. No commitment was made, just plans to meet and see where this connection would go. 

I went on a cruise to Mexico with my family for a week and in that time, Andrew arrived safely back from Iraq. When I returned we had planned as two strangers to meet at the airport so he could give me a ride home. The first time I saw my future husband was a feeling of “home.” He was and still is very handsome and such a gentlemen. We had a few big long hugs and looks of “we must be crazy” and then headed to his car. In the car we were joking around and he went to give me a high-five. I, being the very forward woman that I am, took his hand and didn’t let go. To his surprise, it just fit. He then took me to my apartment, brought my bags in, and we just sat in awe of this strange and ironic situation. It was like we had been together for much longer than just a couple short hours. I offered to get him a glass of water and he accepted, following me into the kitchen. In the kitchen he took me in his arms and gave me one of his world famous hugs, followed by a silent slow dance on the cold linoleum kitchen floor. I thought he was making “the move” and was going in to kiss me. But boy, was I was wrong! So I kissed him instead. At this point, he knew I was a take-charge kind of girl. We spent a few more hours in my apartment discussing the “status” of our relationship and how fast all of this was going. It didn’t matter and we accepted the blessings that we had been given, in meeting each other no matter how crazy it was. 

The next day, we decided to spend time together doing normal things that a boyfriend and girlfriend would do and go on our first date. We had lunch at Mimi’s CafĂ© (our favorite restaurant) and then ran a few errands. As we were driving in the car, nonchalantly and so sincere, he told me that he knew it was too soon and was unsure as to how I would react, but he loved me. The feeling was mutual and I told him “I love you too.” We then discussed what was supposed to happen next. With this being the first week of May and Andrew starting school at the end of August, we decided that with it being only the day after meeting... it was only natural to get married. And married fast! We bought my engagement ring the following day and he proposed 3 days after that in a beautiful garden, filled with an array of beautifully colored flowers and surrounded by several gorgeous waterfalls. We were engaged and wedding planning for the next three months. In those agonizing three months we definitely considered eloping to Vegas a few times. But we managed to make it through. We were married and sealed for time and all eternity in the Portland, Oregon Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on July 24th, 2008. It was the most wonderful and memorable day of our lives. We then honeymooned in Honolulu and cruised the islands of Hawaii. After a week of relaxation and the beauty of Hawaii, we returned to civilization to start our new life together as husband and wife. 

Three months after saying "I do" we were blessed with the news that we were expecting a baby!  Londyn Joy arrived on July 2, 2009.  She is the most perfect little girl and we love her more and more with each day that we get to raise her.

We have our own little family now, with a unique story of how it all began. It isn’t so much as a modern day fairytale as we work hard through the bad days and give thanks for the good ones. His strengths are clearly my weaknesses and my strengths are his. It works! We take care of each other.

In short, we met online and then in person a month later. We kissed on our first meeting, bought a ring two days later, engaged three days after that and then got married three months following.  Three months after all was said and done, we were expecting!  Three is clearly our lucky number!  

 We love each other very much and without using Match.com we would still be looking for each other in all the wrong places. 

First Date at Mimi's Cafe in Orem, Utah

1 comment:

Richard and Nicole said...

wow thats awesome! who knew 3 days! we like the number 2. 2 years until we got married, 2 years until we had a kid. probably 2 months before rich gave me that first kiss........maybe more! glad you had a fun date (: